Pages

March 6, 2011

Baked Eggs


On Sundays after church and Sunday school, my DH and I have brunch at home.

We have a default menu:
eggs, scrambled or fried 
Reduced fat Jimmy Dean sausage or ham, or bacon
or omelettes made with ham or bacon
white [DH] or wheat [me] toast 

If the earth shifts on its axis or 
I get sick of making the same ol' thing,
we have been known to mix it up a bit
and have waffles or pancakes instead of toast.

The inspiration for today's brunch began yesterday afternoon
when our neighbor brought us some of her hens'
fresh eggs.  
Then last night, a friend on Facebook referenced a baked eggs recipe
   on Stephanie's lovely blog, Dollop of Cream,
and I knew I'd found the perfect way to showcase the taste and color of the eggs.

But what really clinched the deal was that Stephanie had used ramekins.
A chance to play with my heart-shaped ramekins!
Who knew one could use them for something besides creme brulee?
Not me.  
Here's the cast of characters:
Buttered ramekins, fresh eggs [aren't they pretty?], rosemary from the garden, 
Tillamook cheddar cheese [an Oregon favorite],
and, instead of the not-so-fresh 1/2 & 1/2, I used skim milk.

And though the avocado felt ripe, it wasn't.  Major disappointment.
I got over it and preheated the oven to 375 degrees.

First put a little cheese in the bottom.

Next add a 1/2 slice of pre-cooked bacon and one egg.

Add a little more cheese and sprinkle it with rosemary.

Then dribble in some add 1 tablespoon of cream or milk.

There is a problem with this recipe.  My Knight in Shining Armor doesn't like cheese so much.
Solution:  Make him scrambled eggs.
With his loving tutelage and the help of my trusty
Kitchen Aid spatula, I can finally say that I make okay scrambled eggs.
Yeah me!

I baked them for 12 minutes and the yolks were nearly cooked through.
Hello, darlings.  Come to Mama.
Stephanie pointed out that you can be very creative with this recipe.
She used Gruyère cheese and rosemary, and placed a slice of tomato on the bottom
of the ramekins.
RAMEKIN!  RAMEKIN!  I just love that word!
I'm thinkin' next time I'll put some chopped mild chiles on  the bottom of the RAMEKINS,
add Monterey Jack cheese, a pinch of chili powder and cumin, salt, and pepper.  Top with pico de gallo or salsa.
Eh, voila!  Huevos Rellenos.

May need to make Stephanie's turnip puff next.
A turnip puff.  Who knew?  Not me.

Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, 
do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31


May God bless your week!
Love,

6 comments:

Shawn said...

That looks delicious and the blue, hear shaped, ramekins were the perfect touch. I will have to try this sometime. We have fellowship after church and starting next week the youth group will be selling breakfast burritos, every Sunday, to finance their mission trip in the fall.

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

Yum! That looks delicious :)

RNSANE said...

That sounds lovely, indeed, or a little mozzarella, sliced black olives,diced Roma tomatoe sand Italian sausage for a taste of Italy!

Chubskulit Rose said...

I bet that taste good!

My Mellow Yellow

forgetmenot said...

Yes, ramekin is a "funny" word. The eggs look delicious and sound easy to make --I'll give them a try. Thanks.

Vanessa Rogers said...

I never thought of baking eggs! Brilliant!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...