Pages

March 1, 2011

I'm baaa-aak!

Had to take a 10+ day break from here and my job and my Dear Husband because Mom was in the hospital and then the rehab center for 10 days.  
Wow, that was a long sentence.
Not the kind I read about in Mom's local paper while I was in the O.C. in SoCal.
The author's point was that when I write I should identify and eliminate unnecessary words from my first draft.
To whit:
The author said to identify and eliminate unnecessary words when I write.

Here's the method he suggested:
Take a sentence of your writing.  Count the number of words in that sentence.  Place a $5 bill on your desk for every word.  Now delete the unnecessary words.  For every word you eliminate without damaging your meaning or harming the natural rhythm and flow of your language, pick up and keep a $5 bill.  The next time you write, imagine that you're paying $5 for every word in your message.  Making every word count adds power to your writing...Imagine that you're paying $5 for every word in your message.  

I call that The Ernest Hemingway Style of Writing.
His A Moveable Feast is a good example.
So, when the Lord brings to mind something to share with you,
I endeavor to do it as succinctly as possible.

With that said, 
the Lord showed me many grace moments
as my brother and I helped Mom maneuver this new, scary season of life.
When she said, "I just don't want to [try to LIVE] anymore,"
He spoke courage, energy, and joy into my heart through His Word.
He brought my Dear Husband along side me, via telephone,
to encourage me.
Pam, Julie, several girlfriends, and my cousin gave me prayer support.
He enabled my brother and me to bond as we discussed old family wounds.
Even though every day began and ended with seemingly insurmountable obstacles,
He blessed me with "can do" and "want to" for Mom's sake.

I will share more at length about these moments as the Lord leads.
Just wanted to reconnect cuz I missed you.

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the LORD'S great love 
we are not consumed,
for His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:21-23

May God bless you with "can do" and "want to" today!
Love,

3 comments:

Karen Kyle Ericson said...

Welcome back! I will say a prayer for your family. Aging can be so hard to watch. So glad you have so many loved ones by your side to help.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back. I'm sure it was hard helping your mom go through that, but you did.

I would be able to make a million dollars in a week if I did that $5.00 for every un-necessary word when I post. *lol*

Cate said...

This is the stage of life that I know that I'll be facing very soon - it is hard enough now to travel back home and see how much my parents have aged.

Will be praying for you as your journey through this next phase of life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...