Pages

October 23, 2010

Sunday Song: What If I Stumble? What If I Fall?

My second and third kidlums turned me on to this song about 15 years ago.  Although I liked the music, lyrics, and singers' voices right away, it was "alternative" Christian music. 
I thought, "That's not a hymn.  We'd never sing that in church."

But, you know what?  I've learned a thing or three about the difference between religious traditions and my faith relationship with Jesus since then. 
Can I get a Hallelujah? 

I got nothin' against traditional hymns like the one I posted for Song Sunday a while back.  Love 'em, in fact. 

But I've clung to the hope spoken of in this song many times since my introduction to it.

Here's why:
I was knit together by God in my mother's womb, 
but I had, from conception, a sinful human nature.
Hence, it's not a matter of IF I stumble and fall in my faith walk with Jesus.
It's a matter of when.

The lyrics pose 4 fearful questions:
What if I stumble?  What if I fall?
What if I lose my step and I make fools of us all?
Will the Love [of God] continue
when the walk becomes a crawl?

Then the singer hears from the heart of God:
I hear You whisper my name.
You say,
"My love for you will never change!"


The Good News
is that the Spirit of God continually draws me back to Himself.
He desires restoration and reconciliation
with me
and between me and others.
His loving mercy and kindness
never changes.

I remember my affliction and my wondering, the bitterness and the gall. 
I remember them and my soul is downcast within me. 
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for His compassions never fail. 
They are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:19-23

Blessings to you all, friends!
Love, Karen

Drop by Natasha over at
http://www.5minutesjustforme.blogspot.com/
and check out the other Song Sunday participants.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...